After last nights SWUX meetup I figured I’d share some more links on Google’s Material design that I’ve found since the last meetup I attended.
- An exploration in Material Design by Arthur Bodolec @ Feed.ly – good information about the Z order and a nicely polished example.
- We Are Living In A Material World And I Am A Material Girl – Trello – Great article that shows before and after material, and most interesting thing for me was how Trello got rid of the navigation drawer.
- Instagram with Material Design concept by Miroslaw Stanek – some great code samples.
Examples of Material apps – there are several of these kind of sights two of the best are:
- pttrns.com – has a new beta section showing material/lollipop Android apps. What’s great is you can filter by the type of screen you’re looking for.
- materialup – showcases material apps and websites but also material concepts and animations
- Material Palette, pick two of the material colours and this site will generate palette of 8 colours ready to drop in to your app/project
- Keyline Pushing – Android app – when running draws an keyline grid on top of apps, useful for designer/developers to validate an app is ahearence to material’s metrics and keyline spec
Personally I’m really excited about the new design language/framework/guide from Google to be all encompassing across web, mobile, tablet, TV. I talked recently at a local meetup about some of the cool things in material design followed by a good debate about what material design is about. The main place to head to is google.com/design
Here’s some other resources:
- Short video intro to showcasing some of the material visual elements and interactions
- Collection of material design elements selected by Roman Nurik on Dribbble
- Android UX course on udacity
While we are on the subject of design here’s a link to Designer cheat sheet for Android it’s very much based on holo but I’m sure as L preview is released these tips will be updated.
Over the weekend I was catching up on Android Design in Action videos / app and thought I’d share a couple of my favourite ones as I often have discussions about both design/brand consistency and app start up screens. Each video is ~30mins but if you can’t spare that then hit up the links to g+ posts below you’ll see links to slides.
UX anti patterns
Design consistency and branding
Onboarding/ app start up
Started a tumblr blog to highlight some of my fav and superbly designed Android apps. http://iheartappdesign.tumblr.com/
Hoping to add to it regularly and tag them so other devs and app designs can see good examples of sign on page or dashboard. Looking for a better tumblr theme – watch this space.